Leadership is often described as a unique blend of art and science. While some individuals are born with certain innate abilities and characteristics that we associate with great leaders, there is much more to effective leadership than just having the right instincts. Just as nonprofits come in many different shapes, sizes and complexities, their leaders must be able to quickly adapt how they lead their organizations as situations change and challenges arise. Understanding your strengths, weaknesses, tendencies and “natural” leadership style is a basis for personal and professional growth and will help bring out the best in your staff and your community.
Please join Lynn Ivey, nonprofit consultant, as she explores the essential differences between leading and managing your nonprofit, the importance of your leadership style in your organization’s overall success, and the impact you have on your staff. Learn key strategies for identifying your strengths and preferences, and how to enhance and expand your leadership abilities by embracing different approaches so that you are the most effective leader you can be. By understanding these key concepts, nonprofit leaders will ensure they have the skills needed to drive their organization’s success, increase their positive impact, and achieve the necessary strategic direction to fulfill the mission.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
Just a sampling of what this webinar will cover:
- Understand the difference between management and leadership – and the importance of both to accomplishing great things efficiently.
- Define an array of leadership styles and characteristics, and review concepts for providing direction, setting priorities, and getting where you want your organization to go in the future.
- Identify personal leadership preferences and understand how this impacts your performance.
- Realize a range of core leadership abilities necessary for successful nonprofit leaders.
- Review key principles for improving your leadership skills.
- Consider the importance of being flexible and adaptable to different situations.
- Understand leadership strategies to help build and sustain your organization’s momentum.
- Identify how certain leadership styles impact culture and people.
- Review ways to maximize your impact as a strategic leader and build your leadership style.
- Review practical tips and examples.
YOUR CONFERENCE LEADER
Your conference leader for “Building an Exceptional Leadership Style: Maximizing Effective Leadership Abilities & Ensuring Your Nonprofit’s Success” is Lynn Ivey. Lynn is a consultant, trainer and speaker for nonprofits throughout the U.S. Her nonprofit experience spans more than 20 years and includes senior executive and leadership positions with healthcare, education, and family support/intervention programs. Her roles have been diverse including: administrator of one of South Carolina’s largest nonprofit hospice programs, director and coordinator of volunteer programs, personnel manager, social worker, staff trainer, clinical instructor, and preschool director. Lynn is a licensed social worker and long-term care administrator with a strong passion for building stronger communities. Because of her wealth of first-hand experience, both in senior nonprofit executive and volunteer positions, she is a sought-after speaker and has been invited to present at national, state and regional events and conferences. In addition to her professional work, she also has a wealth of volunteer experience including: women’s shelters, a theater company, U.S. Navy Family Service Center, and scouting. She has also held volunteer positions serving on the National Council of Hospice and Palliative Professionals CEO Steering Committee, South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control Cancer Control Advisory Committee, and the South Carolina Association of Residential Care Homes Board of Directors, to mention only a few.